Skip to main content

Switching your current account

We're pleased that you've decided to open an account with us.

You'll find more information to help you switch your account. We hope it'll be the start of a long and rewarding relationship with Cater Allen Private Bank.

  • The service is free, and you can choose and agree your switch date with us.
  • You can switch to a new account, or one you've already got with us.
  • We'll take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and Standing Orders), as well as your salary, if requested.
  • Choose when your switch starts - this can be up to 60 days in the future.
  • We will keep you updated of progress along the way.
  • Cater Allen is not currently participating in the Payment Council's Current Account Switch Service (CASS).

Read more about our Account Transfer Service Guide (pdf).

Starting your switch

You choose when your switch starts – this can be up to 60 days in the future.

Fill in the Transfer Authorisation Form (pdf). This gives us authorisation to start the switch process. We'll send a copy of this form to your old bank as quickly as possible.

Switch start date

On your chosen switch start date, we'll ask your old bank for a list of your payments – for example, standing orders and Direct Debits.

When we receive details of your existing payment arrangements from your old bank, we'll write to you to confirm which standing orders and Direct Debits should continue.


We'll set up the payments on your Cater Allen account. We'll also tell the companies you pay by Direct Debit to collect future payments from your new account.

You will, however, need to contact anybody else who regularly sends payments to you such as, pension, savings, or investment income. And you'll need to inform them of your Cater Allen account details if you want these payments into your new account.

You'll receive your debit card and PIN as well as your Internet Banking registration details if you've requested them.


Your switch is complete.

If you have money in your old account, we'll transfer it to your Cater Allen Account by your old bank. But if you have an overdrawn balance, you'll need to clear it with your old bank.

Once we've done our checks and set up all payments and/or credits correctly, we'll send you a letter confirming exactly what we've done.

If requested, we'll close your old bank or building society account.

If you don't already hold a Cater Allen account to switch your existing account to, you can apply by choosing the account you'd like to open and filling in the relevant application form.

You can view our accounts under the Personal Banking section.

Once your new account is open, we can start with the switch from your old bank account on receipt of your completed Transfer Authorisation Form (pdf). If you're an existing customer, we can also arrange to switch a current account you hold elsewhere to your existing Cater Allen account. Please download and fill out the Transfer Authorisation Form (pdf).

Read more about our Account Transfer Service Guide (pdf).

If you need more information about transferring your account or accounts, please call our Client Team on 0800 092 3300.

  • Can I switch my current account if I'm overdrawn?
    No, your account will need to be in credit.
  • When will the money in my old account be transferred to my new account?
    You'll be able to access the money in your old account up to your switch date when we'll transfer it to your new account.
  • Will switching my current account affect my credit rating?
    No, providing you repay the outstanding overdraft on your previous account or accounts as required by your old bank or building society. If there's any problems with payments as part of the switching process, Cater Allen will correct them and make sure it doesn't affect your credit rating.
  • How do I make a complaint about my switch?
    If you're not happy with the switching service we're providing, please refer to the A guide to our complaints procedure (pdf) document which provides details of how we deal with complaints, and your right to make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Please visit our complaints section for more information.